12.26.2005

Mary in Florida: Day 10

My wife finally comes home tonight. Besides the disgusting moustache I grew while she was gone, I think I still have my sanity. The "Chester A. Arthur" was shaved last Thursday at the request of my boss, but I kept the moustache. Work was incredibly slow yesterday. It just goes to show that most of our calls are because people are bored and have nothing better to do than go to the hospital.

The other day I finished the single front ring project on the cyclocross bike. I used an aero brake-only lever, a 42 tooth chainring, and two carbon fiber chain guides. The inside guide is mounted where the inner chainring would be, the chainring sits where the large, outer ring normally is, with the outer guide set outside of the chainring with 3mm spacers. It's held together by long chainring bolts used for triple ring cranksets. I also took the "oh shit levers" off, since I never used them. Here are some pics.


I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use an inner guide due to chain line issues, but everything clears, and shifts awsome. If the inner guide didn't work, I'd use a thrid-eye and maybe place the chainring in the inner position. I still need to take some links out of the chain so there is no possibility of dropping the chain. It's a pretty clean set-up, and took a quite a few grams off the overall bike weight.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Sweet carbon chain guides. Looks pretty swank, I like it. I would've taken off the cross levers as well, I could never see myself using them...

We just got home, saw that you called. I won't call back right now though because I don't know what Mary and you might be doing. :D

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Lars said...

That is a lean mean machine. Chainring looks pimp. When did you get those wheels? Are they tubular?

Anonymous said...

nice work b-man thats impressive looks like your ready to shread up some fools that try to challenge your bad ass

Brooks Leedahl said...

Those wheels are what I replaced the carbon tubs with. They are Bontrager Race X Lite tubulars. They're only like 150 grams heavier then the carbons. They are unglued right now, and I don't think I'll glue them until next cross season.

Simmons said...

Very nice setup. Too bad you aren't doing TI V.2 That would be the perfect bike!