12.28.2006

2006 Predictions: A Look Back

In my last post in 2005 I made 27 bold predictions for 2006. Some came true, some did not. Here's the rundown:

  • Gasoline will be $4.00 per gallon. Nope. Gas got as high as $3.04/gallon (National Average 7/21/06)
  • I will buy a car that runs on diesel/vegetable oil. Nope. The Sentra is still kickin'
  • There will be no exit strategy for the war in Iraq. Unfortunately this is still the case.
  • Andy Bakke will have sexual intercourse. Yep.
  • News programs will have more coverage of Brad and Angelina than genocide, poverty, and AIDS in Africa, combined. Too hard to research. I'm going to say probably.
  • I will break a bicycle rim. I did not.
  • A famous cyclist will fail a drug test and deny he ever doped. Flandis!
  • Ivan Basso will win the Giro. He did.
  • Chris Horner will win a stage in the Tour. He won Stage 2 of the Tour of Romandie. Does that count?
  • I will win a cyclocross race. I won 2 thank you very much.
  • Lance will do all he can to stay in the media spotlight. NCY Marathon.
  • George W. Bush will still be an asshole. "Hey Webb, how's your boy?"
  • I will not shop at Wal-Mart. 13 months and counting.
  • I will have a Colorado Paramedic License. Nope.
  • Mary and I will buy a home. We did.
  • The Mets will win the World Series. Close. NLCS with 2 bum pitchers.
  • Federer will not win a grand slam. I was way off. Ausie Open champ. French finalist. Wimbledon champ. US Open champ.
  • A record number of athletes will fail drug tests during the Turino Olympics. I don't think so. I only know of some Russian biathlete chick that tested positive for carphedon.
  • Paris Hilton will die. Close. She got a DUI in September.
  • Sampson will meet Vontoux. They did. Now they are BFF.
  • A telemarketer from Calcutta will call and try to get me to consolidate my student loans. Hard to say if he was from Calcutta. This actually came true January 2nd.
  • I will drop an F-bomb on said telemarketer. I did.
  • A Canadian will contract bird flu. Surprisingly no.
  • Right-winged yahoos will dismiss global warming. David Bellamy.
  • Scott Johnson will spend a month on our futon, and train with me. He didn't. We did ride together once though.
  • I will vomit from exertion. I didn't. I threw up in my mouth once during a 2 minute zone 5c interval though.
  • Apple will come out with a ghetto blaster/boom box iPod. They did. It's called the iPod Hi-Fi.

16 out of 27 isn't too shabby. Coming soon is the 2007 predictions post.

3 comments:

Brian said...

2007 is the year of the Brown Bear.

Scotty J said...

Good work Brooks I am working on 2 years without a walmart visit. Kayla's Bro tried to get me to go Christmas Eve day and I shot him down imediately. Also, Kayla's mother predicted that when on a budget we will have to go. I said I will beg for money on the street to make enough to buy locally before I go to walmart

Lars said...

Not to shabby at all. I anticipate the next predictions especially since the last ones were so fortuitous for me.