10.16.2007

Hole Shot?

Yeah buddy. So I finished my first race since June 9th on Saturday. That felt good. I didn't do too shabby either. And as the title suggests, I got the hole shot as well. I took advantage of a weakened, lethargic field and without effort, surged to the front. 20 meters in I looked at Brian with baffled amusment and shrugged.

So I drilled it for two thirds of the first lap and then methodically got passed by 7 dudes.

I sorta forgot how to race for an entire hour.

The fitness and skills are there, I just have to pull my head out of my ass and race. The speed of the Pro/1/2 race isn't much different from the cat 3 race, it's just like 2 laps longer. If I was more focused and dedicated, I think I could have finished in top 4. There will be pics and video shortly over at Madcross.org.



Speaking of focus and dedication, I'm eating a slice of cana de cabra on mini toasts along with a bottle of tempranillo. Now that's some good shit. Next time you see a goat, hug it and tell it "thank you for making delicious cheese out of your milk." And then feed it a tin can or whatnot.

I unfortunately had to work on Sunday and couldn't race. It's too bad because it was a greasy, muddy mess. I did bottle handups for Brian and took a bunch of crappy pictures.





Monday I was off and drove to Viroqua for their Monday night cross race series. It's a pretty layed back, low key deal. It was still all slippery and muddy, which was nice. I settled in 2nd or 3rd wheel for most of the race and made my way to the front about half way through. A local guy passed me with like 3 laps to go and I didn't really contest the victory. I figured it was bad taste to beat the locals. He legitametly passed me and gapped me though, and I don't in any way want to dilute his win, but I didn't exactly give him a hard time passing me, and i didn't try to stay with him. So I got second place, $15, a pound of coffee, and all the chocolate milk I could handle. Sweet.

Now I have this to deal with.

Next race I might try some video.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Nice job.

I just got done cleaning up my bike mess from Sunday.

Simmons said...

Way to go Brooks! Sounds like your gonna have a great cross season. Did your "arch rival" from Rochester upgrade as well?

Brian said...

Nice pics that you just added. What a mess.