10.03.2007

Do You Know What's Painful?

Cyclocross. Holy moley. So the season didn't quite start out the way I wanted, but that's ok. My first race in the cat 1/2 field lasted all of about 15 minutes. I DNF'ed after 2 laps. I had a pretty crappy start, and played catch up for half a lap, then easily blew by a group of 5 on an uphill drag. Then I found myself in noman's land until we regrouped and I led the group around for a lap until I popped. Rumor has it my heart rate was 205 at one time.

So the season started like last year's.

I'm optimistic about the season. I won't ever be competing at the front of the race, but I'll have some good battles with other "also rans."

Brian put in an impressive race finishing an effortless 6th in the cat 3 race. It must be his newly implemented theory on tire psi. Or it could be the training and incredible amount racing miles he has in his legs.

So after the race I headed to Grand Forks for like 36 hours. It was nice seeing the family.

More pics and video can be found at Madcross.org.

---

I was going to do this in two seperate posts.

---

Here is the XO1 v3.0


Frame: Trek XO1
Fork: Alpha Q CX
Wheelset: Bontrager Race X lite tubular
Tires: Dugast Cotton Typhoons 32mm
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Cranks: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Chain: Sram PC-991
Front Deraileur: what?
Rear Deraileur: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Shifters/Brake Levers: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 right shifter, Shimano R-600 left brake lever
Brakes: Paul Neo-Retro
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6500 12-25
Headset: Chris King NoTreadSet
Handlebar: Ritchey Pro Biomax
Stem: Ritchey WCS
Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy SL's
Seatpost: Ritchey Pro
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR-modified
Extras: Bontrager gel cork handlebar tape, Swiss Stop GHP brake pads, FSA 42 tooth chainring, FSA carbon chainguides, Avid Tri Dangle cable carriers, Dura Ace cables/housing
Bike weight: 16.9lbs

Circa 1993 Avid Tri Dangles


No need for two chainrings


Why buy a $330.00 carbon SLR when you can make one out of a worn out saddle and some Krylon?


I like stickers


Dura Ace is so amazing. This deraileur has seen like 20,000 miles!


The backups


Sampson approves

5 comments:

Brian said...

Good lookin mega post.

I give all credit to my new Grifo tires for my cross result.

I like the stick holding your bike up. :)

16.9lbs is sick for a cx bike.

So, it looks like we'll be seeing Astana-Discovery next season. I wonder if Trek will follow the Disco train over to Astana after BMC bailed on them?

Anonymous said...

Yes, finally a cross post. Disappointed that you didn't beat Simmons to the smart bar technology. Turn that X0 into a SS, and then you've got a 16lb bike, and you'll turn heads on the start line.

Lars said...

Did you just rip the cover off of your SLR?

Brooks Leedahl said...

yeah. i ripped the cover off, drilled some holes, and painted it.

there is no comfort difference, so i think its a keeper.

dvjs said...

rumor has it you shall be in lawrence in decemeber. hopefully so,