11.20.2006

WCA Cyclocross Race #8

Wisconsin and Midwest Cyclocross Championships, Angell Park Speedway, Sun Prairie, WI

Yesterday was the final race in the WCA series, and also the State and Midwest Championships, so all sorts of crazy racers showed up. The field was huge, maybe twice the normal amount. As Brian said in his report, they had call-ups for the top 10 which was nice. The start was crazy. I don't know how I didn't crash. People get crazy at these "big time" races. I don't understand why guys who know they'll finish in the bottom half of the results feel the need to try and fight for 10th wheel at the start. There were elbows flying and tires rubbing all over the place. I unfortunately had a lack luster start and had to fight my way back near the front. Sachs Boy and Masterson got the holeshot, and after only a few minutes had a 5 second gap on a second group containing myself, some Turin guy, and a few others. We bridged up, and Masterson drifted away. The Turin guy and I stayed with Sachs Boy. On lap 2 I began cramping in both quads whenever I really tried to put the power down. I ended up off the back, and the rest of the race I just tried to control the bleeding. Two more guys got around me, and I ended up 5th. The lungs felt fine, the legs just didn't want to go.

Here's the stats from the HRM:
Time: 45:04
Average HR: 196
Max HR: 201
Calories: 1007

The average and max heart rate are higher then normal, so I think I was slightly dehydrated. That could explain the cramping also. Who knows. It was a tough race with lots of full throttle sections and technical off camber turns with a few hard run-ups. The best designed course with the best facilities all year. Sachs Boy ended up 2nd overall, but 1st Wisconsinite, and State Champion, so hats off to him. We left early, so I'm not sure about the series overall. I think I won. Sachs Boy and I tied for season points, but ties are broken by the most finishes at the highest placing. We shall see.

Thanks to my parents for coming down to Madison for the weekend and seeing me race. Thanks to Heathrow and Vontoux for cheering, and thanks to my wife for the pictures.

Brian and I before the start


We don't have any more power, Captain


Sachs Boy givin'er


Mom and Dad trying to stave off hypothermia

4 comments:

Simmons said...

Congratuations on a great CX season Brooks! I can't wait to see how you do next year on the road and trails. There's more than just CX races in Wisconsin you know :) Go Team Brown Bear. ROAR!

ps - Did you and Sachs Boy kiss and make up :)

Lars said...

Great race gentlemen. What a tight series.

Sachs- Mayo is indeed intense but there can't be many programs able to replicate the experience you get here. We've got neuroendocrine tumors galore by the way.

Scotty J said...

YOU THE MAN BROOKS!!!

D-Lo said...

I think that you and Sachs, MD and your respective camps should put aside your differences and combine forces to form a CX conglomerate capable of crushing all comers. Maybe you could spice things up by implanting yourselves with EPO and testosterone secreting neuroendocrine tumors.