3.22.2007

Milano-Sanremo

Milan-San Remo is upon us once again. The first "monument" of the cycling season, and the longest race of the year at 300 kilometers. A breakaway ususally forms on the slopes of the Passo del Turchino, which is roughly the half way point. The break is usually brought back on the Cipressa, leaving only the short Poggio left for the sprinters to muscle over.

Back in the day a breakaway would always survive, but in the modern day, a bunch sprint is inevitable. Pick the sprinter du jour, and there's a strong possibility he'll win MSR. With Boonen and Bettini not at 100%, and Zabel and Petacchi over the hill and aging fast, the next generation of sprinters like Bennati, Schumacher, and dare I say, Haedo will challenge for the win.
My money is on Stefan Schumacher with Baden Cooke as my dark horse. Watch out for a big attack on the Poggio by the likes of Ballan, Schleck, Flecha, and Cancellara. Watch it on Versus 5-7pm eastern on Sunday, right after Bill Dance Outdoors.

4 comments:

Brian said...

I said it on my blog too, but I'll make my picks here as well.

I'll go with either McEwen or Boonen.

With my underdog dark horse pick being Popovych...attacks hard on the Poggio and barely holds on in the last km for the win.

dvjs said...

patrick swayze as brooks leedahl? what?

for information please visit www.danielvincentjohn.blogspot.com

Scotty J said...

I strongly dislike Bill Dance! Nevertheless he is my darkhorse!

Anonymous said...

Bettini, 33rd, cracked rib and bruised chest, 2 seconds back, what an animal. What happened to Petacchi? Freire a deserving victory, plus spanking the field by almost 2 bike lengths. When did Davis get so fast? With all the little guys up front, I have to say that this signals that Boonen is on track for PR and Flanders, just like the past. Did anybody else notice that when all 3 riders were on the podium, they are all the same height?