3.07.2007

The Belgian Beer Post!

Hells yeah boyz, Belgian beer is where its at--rich, fruity, aromatic, malty, crazy high alcohol content, and delicious! Dubbel, triple, quadrupel, Belgian darks, all oh so good, and oh so complex. That might be because I'm home alone and buzzing slightly from an Ommegang. And the monk brewed Trappist ales are the best.

So, lets see, I've had all 3 of the Chimays, both Westmalles, and all the Trappistes Rocheforts (6, 8, and 10.) The quadrupel (10) is by far the best beer I've ever drank (ate?) And if you know this guy well enough, you know he's had his fair share of beers. Beer Advocate rates it the #7 beer in the world. The only beers with higher scores are a few IPAs, Imperial Stouts, and 2 Trappist ales from the Westvleteren Abbey. Westvleterens are rare. How rare? Think Ferrari Enzo rare, or sub 4 minute high school mile rare. That rare. Find me some and I'll be your friend.

I won't go into tasting notes on these beers--I'm too much of a novice connoisseur (does that make sense?) to fully articulate the spendor of these beers. All I can do is recommend you go out and try them. Pour them into a big red wine glass and enjoy. Fancy beers are fun because the best beers in the world only cost about $10 a bottle compared to spending 100 times that much for the world's best wines.

5 comments:

Lars said...

I have only tried an Orval. Try to find one of those. I agree in the difficulty of describing flavors. I can only say it had a very bitter aftertaste. After reading a comment calling it grapefruity I do agree. Definetly complex. This site is a good reference. The Oxford Bottled Beer Database.

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Westvleterens at HH's. If I find any I will buy 2. Definitely have to agree that the beer hunt/discovery is much more interesting and affordable than wine. But, finding a good affordable table wine is a worthwhile endeavor.

Brooks Leedahl said...

i agree wine is fun too. there is a ton of good wines in the $12-15 range.

Brian said...

I like root beer.

G-reg said...

Dude, you make me miss living near a Trader Joe's grocery store. They had all hella Trappist Beer, and pretty cheap too. It's hard to find that kind of stuff in "Texhoma." But, if I look hard enough I can find various beers from the king of Belgian Micro brews, New Belgium. http://www.newbelgium.com/
My hometown brewery BTW, I'm gonna get fat.