11.11.2006

WCA Cyclocross Race #7

Janesville Cyclocross, Gibbs Lake Country Park, Fulton, WI

A rare Saturday only cross race. It snowed like a mother yesterday, so the race promised to be a sloppy muck fest. I planned to drive down to Janesville with Brian, but he became a eunuch, and apparently cyclocross racing is frowned upon, so he didn't go. It was nice and sunny when I left this morning, and the snow had already started to melt. It was crazy cold though. So I got to the venue and did all the normal pre race stuff that you guys don't want to hear about. I warmed up, and cooled back off before we started racing. My poor fingers and toes were ready to fall off.
The course was insanely muddy. Not clumpy, loamy mud, but thin, Hershey's Syrup mud. There were some barriers, long fast sections, slow hairpin corners, a beach/lake running section, and a LONG climb. The laps were really long, well over 15 minutes when I did my reconnaissance. The cat 4's were doing them in 12 minutes during their race. They had call-ups based on WCA points, so I had a perfect start position (they only allowed 5 riders on the front row.)
I started pretty slow and conservatively, and sat 5th or 6th wheel for the opening section of the lap. Once things calmed down and the race sorted itself out, I was in a chase group containing the same 3 other guys as last week. There was a dude dangling off the front about 5 seconds. Our little chase group was moving so slowly, that at the beginning of the second lap I put in a big acceleration and bridged up to the leader. He was wheezing and ready to die, so I just left him and drilled it the rest of lap 2. At the start of lap 3 I saw the lap counter and it said 2 to go, so I kept it pegged as long as I could. I was hurting climbing the hill on the thrid lap, but had a 10 second advantage. I tried to maintain my advantage, but a chase group of 3 clawed back 5 seconds. I was so cooked by the time I hit the hill on the last lap that I had to dismount and run the top section. It was all good though as my 5 second buffer turned to 10 seconds. Haley put in a major effort and clawed back a bunch of time, but it was too late and I soloed in for the win with Haley outsprinting 2 other dudes. Masterson dropped out and Sachs Boy came in out of the money in 5th. I also won the prime and a sweet trophy.
Here's the stats.
Time: 40:22
Average HR: 193
Max HR: 198
Calories: 991
No action shots today, as I was alone, but I took some pics of the carnage when I came home. Everything is covered in mucky guck.

12 comments:

Lars said...

DOMINATION! Sounds like you ran a perfect race, and destroyed Sachs in the process. The series is all but wrapped up.

Scotty J said...

SACHS BOY GETS WHOMPED BY BROOKS THE BAD ASS!!!

Is that going to be the headline in the Madison Times (do not know the real name) on Sunday. Good work man way to crush the opponents and sweet trophy. Did you tell all the haters from last week to screw off as you mooned them!!! Sweet trophy too!!!

Simmons said...

Great race Brooks! Too bad the Eunuch couldn't have at least come along and took some pictures of you kicking a$$ :) What is your points lead now?

Brian said...

Nice job Brooks!

The Eunuch had a fun day playing with his sister and brother-in-law and finalizing plans for the 07 TBB jersey design. :)

Simmons said...

Any pictures of Trent? I uuhh, I mean the jerseys :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Brooks, like the trophy! Did you win a beer prime?
Heathrow

Brooks Leedahl said...

no beer prime. just cold hard cash.

Anonymous said...

Great job Brooks! Now all we have to do is turn the rivalry with Sachs boy into an ultimate pay per view fight, and you cash in again. Since Sachs boy has a nickname, you should have your blog constituents come up with a nickname for you. Brooks "Saddle" Leedahl comes to mind quickly, but maybe it's a bit weak. Challenge to the comment forum for a cool cyclecross ultimate fight name for Brooks, and maybe a new name for his partner eunuch.

Scotty J said...

how about Eunuch "rides only on the seatpost" Abraham a little long but appropriate jk :) and Brooks "The Bad Ass on the Dugast" Leedahl once again appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Dear Brooks,

Hello! My name is David Greenblatt, a.k.a. “Sachs Boy.” When I came across your blog I was surprised, amused, and somewhat flattered to find myself mentioned in nearly all of your Wisconsin cyclocross race reports. I kind of like the nickname “Sachs Boy,” but I think you could have come up with more original epithets than “dip shit” and “major a-hole” to describe me.

Brooks, I’m not sure why you have such animosity towards me. Is it because I crashed in front of your buddy Brian on the first lap of the Lapham Peak race? I assure you, that was not intentional, just as I’m sure you did not intentionally crash at the end of the Estabrook Park race, which kind of ruined the day for the two Velo Trocadero guys. Is it because I ride a Richard Sachs bike, and that makes me a rich poser or something? I actually would not be surprised if I spent less on my bike than you did on your Trek, which I noticed is also fairly pimped out with components from the likes of Chris King, Paul, and Dugast. The frame I bought used, together with a whole bunch of parts, from Richard Sachs for around $1000. It used to belong to Konrad Lebas, a Junior member of Sach’s cross team. He raced it in 2004, including at the world championships. When Lebas “retired” from the team, Richard Sachs posted a “for sale” ad on rec.bicycles.marketplace for the frameset, and I snapped it up. As for my Cane Creek carbon fiber wheels, I bought them used at a very low price from Carmen D’Alusio, the recently-retired pro who used to race for Clif Bar. So yeah, I admit, I do have a nice cross bike. How or why that makes me a “dip shit,” I am not sure.

Anyways, if I did something to offend you, I apologize. I’ve been having a great time racing against you, Casey Masterson, and Patrick Haley this cross season. While you have certainly been the most consistent rider, I think the four of us are pretty evenly matched, which has made for fun and exciting racing. Congratulations on your victory at Janesville, and in the overall WCA Cat 3 series, as there is virtually no way I can catch you in terms of points unless your bike breaks in half or something on Sunday. My team, Brazen Dropouts/Cronometro, is hosting the State Championships at Sun Prairie, and there will be plenty of free beer on hand for racers and spectators. Perhaps the two of us can get to know each other in person over a couple brews after the race, instead of slinging insults over the internet.

Sincerely,

David “Sachs Boy” Greenblatt

Anonymous said...

Not too many "Atta boys" now that David Greenblat called you out. Maybe the haters from the previous week are on his side...

Anonymous said...

hey brooks just hanging out in good old CC killing the few you left behind. just kidding they haven't made me a paramedic yet due to north coast lazyness. passed national reg just barely. how much foe a plane ticket back we might be able to raise enough for you and your wife with some bake sales. foe was a type o but it sound good any how. late fo