11.05.2006

WCA Cyclocorss Race #6

Milwaukee Cyclocross, Estabrook Park, Milwaukee, WI

It was nice and sunny today with temps in the 50's for the race. The course was fast and dry with lots of pavement and fast grass sections. There was some nice slow chicanes and some tricky singletrack thrown in for good measure. There was 2 sets of barriers, and a short, steep run-up. The laps were fairly short, about 5 minutes long.

Brian and I both had front row starts that neither of us took advantage of. We didn't anticipate the start and we were slow getting off the line. When we finally got going, we were sqweezed into each other and rubbed shoulders. No harm, no foul. I made my way to the front group with brian right behind. I put in a little acceleration and made my way to the front before we entered the singletrack. I was riding a nice hard tempo, but was well within my comfort zone. No one wanted to work, and it was "groupo compacto" for the first 4 laps or so with the top 8 or so guys in points. I stayed at the front and dictated pace. About 20 minutes in, attacks started which whittled the group down to the top 4 riders in the series. The pace was pretty high at this point, but no one wanted to really go for it. We stayed together until the last lap. There were attacks and counter attacks, but no one got away. I made my move after the last set of barriers leading into a section of slow speed chicanes. I went for it here because I was much faster through the slow stuff than the others, and only had a straight-away after the chicanes. I came up on the corner too hot, and lost the front wheel in the loose dirt and went down. Hard. There was a massive pile up which Sach's Boy was able to avoid for the win. I came in third, humiliated, with a bent brake lever and bloody shin. Oops.

I was cursed at, and yelled at, and called bad names, but that's racing. It was a good move, I just lost it on some loose dirt. Victory would have been mine had I executed the corner properly. I don't think I could have won had it come down to a sprint, since I've never been in one. The legs felt great though. I apologized after the race, but I'm still the guy that caused the wreck. I don't want to be that guy. Brian had a good race, coming home in 7th.

Back down to second place in the series, Sach's Boy 5 points in front, with 3rd only 9 points behind me. The next 2 races should be quite interesting.

Here's some estimated stats from the HRM (I'm too lazy to go get the monitor. They're always roughly the same anyway.)
Time: 39 minutes
Average HR: low 190's
Max HR: high 190's
Calories: 800ish

Thanks to Heather for the cheerleading. Heather made the announcement before today's race that she started her off season yesterday. Mary couldn't make the trip today, so no pictures. Brian should have some in his race report, also check out Madcross.org for pictures and video highlights.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you were in the lead when you had the crash, no one has any right to complain, other than yourself at yourself. You took your shot at what you thought was your strength, and after a couple of laps going by the same spot you gave it a go. The riders behind you can either think, or follow with the dog pack mentality. I've always wondered what would happen if the leader would dismount at a tricky corner part and force everybody to slow down. Keep the "racing hard" idea going and recapture the points lead.

Scotty J said...

Good work man, DAMN THAT CURSED SACHS BOY!!! But yeah you were in the lead, all the other riders could have not been pussies and done the exact same thing you did and attack, but no harm no foul that racing as you said. Better luck next time. Oh and like I said you need anyone beat up just call me.

Scotty J said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brooks Leedahl said...

those results are from the first race in the series.

Scotty J said...

Wow I am a idiot! I guess I could have read that.

Brooks Leedahl said...

it's all good

Scotty J said...

I hope you are not to sore and you will be ready for next race.

Lars said...

Ohh Damn brother. I was getting all pumped and shit reading your blog as you were about to win and then you ate it and I was crushed. Excellent blogging. Good salvage of third place. You can take Sachs boy in the end.

Simmons said...

You had me on the edge of my seat as well. Way to podium despite the crash. I can't wait to see what happens next weekend. Good luck.