10.29.2006

WCA Cyclocross Race #5

VeloTrocadero Halloween Classic, Washington Park, Milwaukee, WI

Are you guys ready for another race report? Probably not, but you're getting one anyway. It was a beautiful day today, sunny and about 50 degrees without a cloud in the sky. Apparently nobody told Sampson about the time change, so instead of waking me up at 7, he woke me at 6. Thats cool though, I ate breakfast and took my time before venturing to Milwaukee. The race was at an awesome city park. The park was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, who also designed New York's Central Park.

The course was, in my opinion, exactly what a 'cross course should be, mostly mowed grass with some pavement. There was a large, open start area that led into a sharp right-hander up a steep hill and back down, lots of fast, sweeping corners, a section of high-speed barriers, some off-camber turns, a run-up with barriers, and a fast paved road section. It wasn't really a course that suits my strengths, as there was lots of fast, power sections, and I'm not very powerful. There were some sections where I was really able to get in a nice rhythm though.

Brian and I lingered around the start line and watched Heather finish her race. She raced really well, and had a nice photo-finish sprint with another girl. The start line was nice and wide, so there was really no bad starting spots. Brian had a really good start and was second wheel. My start wasn't so good, but I passed a bunch of guys on the steep hill, and was 5th wheel for the first half of lap 1. I moved up and passed Brian, but the leader was already gone. He had a 12 second lead after the first lap that grew to 40 seconds after lap 3. After that people didn't even give me time splits I was getting my ass kicked that much. There was a big gap (10 seconds) back to 3rd place, so I just tried to keep everyone else behind me, which I did. So second place points for me. Brian dropped a group of 4 he was in right before the finish.

Stats from the Polar S520:
Time: 38:18
Average HR: 191
Max HR: 197
Calories: 793

The wifey had to work today, so no pictures. Sorry. Here's one of Sven Nys though. He's faster than I am anyway.


Nice tires Sven.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did evil Sachs man win? Did he even show to occur the wrath of the Dugast's?

Brooks Leedahl said...

sachs boy was 4th. the wrath of the dugasts were even more horrific this time because they had goose shit all over them.

Scotty J said...

Told you the Dugasts would eat him up!!! Good work B-man

Lars said...

Sachs boy goes down! Have you raced the winner before? Sounds like a sandbagger?

Simmons said...

Way to go Brooks! Did you take over the lead in the points race?

Scotty J said...

I was told there would be Brown Bear updates not seeing any!!

Brooks Leedahl said...

patience, young scotty, patience

Scotty J said...

Not my virtue

Brooks Leedahl said...

is that why you're getting married so soon?

Scotty J said...

NO I am doing that for the easier house payment, tax cuts, and lower car insurance, good food 3 times a day and a live in maid